Bitextual Literacy Skills

As Genya Coffey notes, in addition to teaching print-based literacy skills we must now simultaneously teach digital literacy skills, for our window of time has not increased with our increased demands.  One of the brilliant things of technology is that it gives a voice to those who often quietly slip through the hours of class without uttering many if any words.  In this sense it levels the playing field.  However, typing also affords its own challenges.  For one, typing requires much finer motor skills than speaking; furthermore, reading proves more difficult for some than listening.  Changing text-based class discussions from occurring in a circle in the classroom to happening over the internet changes the voices that can be heard and changes the amount of voices to be heard.  Moreover, one can go back and re-read should they desire clarification without feeling like a “nag” or interrupting; thus, Coffey found that students proved more active participants and frequently prodded each other for clarification

Nevertheless, digital tools provide their own hurdles.  For one, not all students possess their own computers nor access to the internet, so planning things to occur at particular times outside of class could be problematic.  Also, digital literacies require their own skills be taught.  Students must learn “netiquette” and to respect their individual privacy.  The classroom offers a great, safe space for both these things to take place, and students can find a new way of expressing themselves.  Some teachers have taken to permitting the use of emoticons in class blogs and webchats since they’ve deemed in-class discussions to be informal and ripe with nonverbal cues–thereby affording their students a new dialect–albeit both digital and text-based.

While it affords a time saving mechanism, this technology holds some drawbacks.  Preece and Scheiderman discuss social networking’s lack of stability.  Even the latest fads, while immensely popular one moment,  are quickly forgotten the next.  Users get bored with nearly every platform.  They tire of particular communities and activities and quickly progress to the next.  If real-life, authentically chosen means becomes so quickly discarded, how can we maintain student support of technological classroom activities?  Already challenged as being less authentic, class blogs and chats must prove mundane quickly–given Preece’s study.  I would be interested to see the intersection of these two pieces in future research.  Additionally, I would like to see numbers associated with Coffey’s claims.  Her review speaks to generally observable and believed truths, but I would prefer to see them more quantifiably backed and not simply presented as a review.

2 Comments

on “Bitextual Literacy Skills
2 Comments on “Bitextual Literacy Skills
  1. “Quantifiably backed,” indeed! I would have preferred the same.

But on a more positive note, I appreciate that you took into account the more informal nature of discussions and the role that informality may play in encouraging students to produce thoughts before worrying about language. It may be that my own SLIGHT technophobia is clouding my judgement of what may be sound practices. It’s very hard for me to accept emoticons and the like as part of activity in an academic course, but perhaps allowing such new practices to filter in–acceptable for discussion but clearly noted as unacceptable for other writing–may be quite useful for reengaging disengaged students.

2. Becky!
    Lovely recap of the interconnected benefits and challenges of bitextual literacy practices! Your analysis leads you back and forth, from the positives to challenges over and over again as the evidence for each side prompts additional questioning and challenging: bitextual literacy practices give all students a voice – but variety in typing skills could compromise this more level playing field – but it seemed to help students be more active – but not all students have access at home…… I’m really glad you didn’t make a t-chart of positive aspects over here and negative components somewhere else (like the way the article presented the content and how I myself often organize my thoughts). Reading your blog reminded me of the interconnectedness of the benefits and challenges of these kinds of technology adapted literacy practices. We will have to deal with the challenges and benefits all at once when we are in our classrooms and trying out different digital tools. It will probably look much messier than we’d like but that’s okay because these are messy issues, as your post reminds me!